host command in Linux system is used for DNS (Domain Name System) lookup operations. In simple words, this command is used to find the IP address of a particular domain name or if you want to find out the domain name of a particular IP address the host command becomes handy. You can also find more specific details of a domain by specifying the corresponding option along with the domain name.
host [-aCdlriTWV] [-c class] [-N ndots] [-t type] [-W time] [-R number] [-m flag] hostname [server]
host command without any option: It will print the general syntax of the command along with the various options that can be used with the host command as well as gives a brief description about each option.
Different options with the host command:
- host domain_name: This will print the IP address details of the specified domain.
- host IP_Address: This will display the domain details of the specified IP Address.
- -a or -v: It used to specify the query type or enables the verbose output.
host -a geeksforgeeks.org
- -t : It is used to specify the type of query.
host -t ns geeksforgeeks.org
Example 2: To print SOA record
host -t SOA geeksforgeeks.org
Example 3: To print txt record
host -t txt geeksforgeeks.org
- -C : In order to compare the SOA records on authoritative nameservers.
host -C geeksforgeeks.org
- -R : In order to specify the number of retries you can do in case one try fails. If anyone try succeeds then the command stops.
host -R 3 geeksforgeeks.org
- -l :In order to list all hosts in a domain.For this command to work you need to be either an admin or a node server.
host -l geeksforgeeks.org
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the “Improve Article” button below.
Be the First to upvote.
Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to report any issue with the above content.