Here we are going to learn how to root Oneplus 6 in the easiest way. If you are here you must know why we root android and what are the benefits. So I’m skipping this part and let’s immediately start the process to root our phone.
- ADB and FASTBOOT setup for windows PC: ADB Installer v1.4
- TWRP: Twrp site there are 2 TWRP file one is .img other is .zip ( you need .img on your pc and copy .zip to your phone)
- Magisk 17.1: Magisk17.1.zip
Steps to root OnePlus 6:
1: Unlock the bootloader:
To allow modifications to system we need to unlock the bootloader first. Let’s start unlocking the bootloader
- You need a PC, install adb and fastboot on your pc. Download link
- Enable OEM unlock and USB debugging:
- Go to your phone’s Settings » About phone » and tap “Build number” Seven/Ten times. This will enable Developer options on your OnePlus 6.
- Now go to Settings » Developer options » and look for “Enable OEM unlock”option, tick the checkbox next to it.
- On the same page, also tick the USB debugging
- Connect your phone to PC and open a command window on the PC.
- Reboot your OnePlus 6 into Bootloader/Fastboot mode by issuing the following command:
C++12345adb reboot bootloader
└ Check your phone’s screen, if it asks for “Allow USB debugging”, accept it by selecting OK/Yes.
- Once it is booted into Bootloader mode, issue the following command to finally unlock the bootloader on your OnePlus 6:
C++12345fastboot oem unlock
This will unlock the bootloader on your OnePlus 6 and also completely wipe your phone while doing that. So make sure you backup everything important on your device before unlocking the bootloader.
- You would be greeted with a Unlock Bootloader Warning page, Hit the Vol button to select Yes and turn it Blue and Hit the Power Button to Execute the selection
- Your device will reboot, show you a Secure boot warning, your phone will reboot into the OS.
2: Install TWRP:
- The OnePlus 6 uses the newer AB partition scheme first introduced on the Pixel 1. As such there is no recovery partition. Instead, the recovery is part of the boot image. You will temporarily boot TWRP to perform and later perform a more permanent TWRP installation.
- Download all the files, place Magisk & TWRP installer zip on Device Internal Memory and TWRP img on your PC
- Then boot it into fastboot/bootloader mode by holding volume up + power or selecting the reboot to bootloader via advanced reboot options.
- Open a new command prompt in the same location and run the following commands:
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.2-0-enchilada.img
You will temporarily boot into TWRP
Now in TWRP, tap on Install and browse to the zip and install it (the zip will probably be in /sdcard/Downloads). TWRP will now be installed to both slots. TWRP is now installed.
PS: DO NOT BOOT IN OS JUST YET & CONTINUE TO THE ROOTING POST
3: Root Oneplus 6
- Reboot to recovery: Switch you phone off, press power and volume down together, you will reboot to recovery.
- Flash Magisk: Now as you are in TWRP recovery, click Install and select magsik17.1.zip (the zip will probably be in /sdcard/Downloads) and swipe to flash.
That’s it, now reboot to system and you can see the magisk app, if it ask for update, update it and you are now rooted.
You can now have all those benefits which a rooted user has.