This set of Gene Manipulation Assessment Questions and Answers focuses on “Gene Targeting and Transfer in Plants”.
MCQs based on Gene Targeting and Transfer in Plants:
1. When was the first stable transmission of DNA into plants reported?
Explanation: The introduction of foreign DNA into a plant followed by stable transmission through the germline was first demonstrated in 1981.
2. Which was the first transgenic plant generated?
Explanation: The first transgenic plant generated was that of tobacco. Soil bacterium was used as a vector for transferring exogenous DNA into the plant.
3. Plant viruses are _______ vectors.
Explanation: Plant viruses have been developed as versatile episomal vectors, allowing high level transient gene expression.
4. Differentiated plant tissue shows high degree of _________
Explanation: A fundamental difference between animals and plants is that organized, differentiated plant tissue shows a high degree of developmental plasticity.
5. Callus tissue is derived from ________
Explanation: Seed derived callus tissue may be able to regenerate an entirely new plant under appropriate culture conditions. Depending on different species, different cultures can be obtained.
6. Tissue culture step is necessary for producing transgenic plants.
Explanation: For most plant species, some form of tissue culture step is therefore necessary for the successful production of transgenic plants.
7. Need of tissue culture is minimized or eliminated if ___________ is used.
b) Whole plant
Explanation: There is an increasing interest in the use of whole plant transformation strategies, in which the need for tissue culture is minimized or eliminated.
8. In which cultures, cells are maintained in an undifferentiated state?
Explanation: Callus cultures are established under conditions that maintain cells in an undifferentiated state. Plant tissue culture is required for most procedures.
9. Explants are plant ________________
a) Living tissue
Explanation: Tissue culture is the process whereby small pieces of living tissue (explants) are isolated from an organism and grown aseptically.
10. Undetermined cells are capable of _____________
d) Protein production
Explanation: For successful plant tissue culture it is best to start with an explant rich in undetermined cells because such cells are capable of rapid proliferation.